Ever wonder what’s really happening when you use a vaporizer? What are the components of your vape? And how do these components come together to produce vapor? We have the answers to your questions! First, l et’s break it down.
WHAT ARE THE COMPONENTS OF A VAPE DEVICE?
Though specific components vary by type of device, the basic pieces remain the same. A vape device is made up of:
- A rechargeable battery. Basic mouth-to-lung devices and most mods can be charged using a USB cord connected to a computer while certain mods require external batteries and a charger.
- A cartridge for e-juice. Most vaporizers (unless it’s an RDA) have an area that you can fill up with your e-juice of choice!
- An atomizer. The head of the atomizer is comprised of a coil of thin wire and wicking material that serve to heat e-juice.
- A sensor. This component is critical because it senses when you take a pull and activates the atomizer.
HOW DO THESE COMPONENTS WORK TOGETHER?
It’s the same principle as a fog machine or hookah. Basically, a vaporizer heats up liquid to the point that it turns into vapor. It goes like this:
- When you take a drag, a sensor activates your vape’s atomizer.
- The atomizer heats up the e-liquid.
- The e-liquid undergoes a phase change, or vaporization, and turns to vapor.
- You inhale the vapor!
BUT WHY DO SOME DEVICES PRODUCE LARGE CLOUDS OF VAPOR WHILE OTHERS ONLY PRODUCE A LITTLE?
The ingredients in your e-juice and your device determine the size of your clouds. Here is a quick summary of facts:
- E-liquid is made up of four basic ingredients. Two of these ingredients affect vapor production: vegetable glycerin (VG) and propylene glycol (PG). Juices high in VG produce a lot of vapor, while juices high in PG produce more of a flavored throat hit. For a more detailed explanation of VG versus PG, check out our blog on e-liquid ingredients.
- The type of device you use is the main factor when it comes to vapor production. Basic e-cigarettes and mouth-to-lung devices produce minimal vapor. For real clouds, you need a mod with a powerful battery and sub-ohm tank. A sub-ohm tank is just an atomizer with coils that have less than one ohm of resistance. Moral of the story? If you dream of chasing clouds, invest in a mod with a sub-ohm tank, or if you want to go even further, check out mech mods and RDAs or drippers with specialized coils for mass vapor and immense flavor!